Well, I think it’s all safe to say….we can’t wait to hear that clock strike “Midnight” on December 31st! 2020 came in like a wrecking ball and we are all ready to move on and hope 2021 brings some happiness and sanity!
As many are still under stay at home orders, curfews, or just not wanting to venture out into crowds, NYE will most likely be spent at home for the majority of us. So, I thought it would be fun to bring you some activities and ideas on how to spice up the night for you and your family!
1. Make a Bubbly Bar
Champagne is a must on NYE, so why not just make a cute bubbly bar and keep the champagne flowing all night long! I love that this can easily become kid-friendly too by just adding a bottle of the sparkling white grape juice! Need some ideas on what to add to your bubbly bar:
- Champagne: The key is to go with a dry or semi-dray champagne or opt in for a sparkling wine instead. The dryer wines balance out the sweetness from the juice and added fruits. (Side note: You can plan for about 6-8 drinks per 750ml bottle of bubbly.) *Don’t forget the sparkling white grape juice for the kiddos and expecting Mamas!
- Juices: From orange juice, pineapple juice, mango juice, cranberry juice, to peach nectar…you have so many options! Just check out the juice section and see what’s new!
- Add-Ins: You have to offer a few toppers to the bubbly, so grab some blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, rosemary sprigs, mint, pineapple wedges, and cranberries. Anything that is edible and looks cute in the bubbly…that’s the key!
2. Highlights of the Year game
Ok, I know you’re thinking….doesn’t the toilet paper shortage take the cake?! Well, it might…but this is a free printable game that you can spend some time reflecting on the other moments of 2020. This comes from Alice & Lots blog and is such an easy game to play. Just print out the file on cardstock, cut the cards apart, and toss them all in a bowl. Pass the bowl around…when it’s your turn, you pull out a card and respond to the prompt. From “best song of the year” to “best conversation of the year”, there are lots of fun prompts to consider and get your mind off the toilet paper shortage!
3. Board Game Competition
You know those kids need to stay busy waiting for the ball to drop, so incorporate a game night into the mix. However, this is a special game night, because the winner gets 5 points for each game won. So grab a mix of games and get to playing. Keep track of the points throughout the night and the person at the end of the night gets to claim victory…with maybe a pre-selected prize (Our family loves some lottery tickets…fun to scratch and maybe you’ll hit it big!)
4. Make your 2021 Dream Board
I love making dream boards, because it gives you that visual reference of the life you want to create for the upcoming year. Even better is the moment you get to check something off the dream board. So, if you haven’t made your dream board for 2021, spend NYE creating one as a family. Just grab a poster board and your computer/printer, and get to work. Print out pictures of things you want to purchase, places you want to visit, things you want to do, etc. Remember, this is a dream board, so dream big!!! Just attach those pics to your poster board and there you have your 2021 dream board!
5. Play NYE Countdown Bingo
When it’s time to start focusing on the NYE countdown specials, why not throw in another competition. You can use these printable BINGO cards from Thirty Handmade Days to keep your kids/guests entertained as they watch for their BINGO items to pop up on TV. (Note: You’ll need to subscribe to her weekly mailer to get the instant download of the BINGO cards. You can unsubscribe at any time, but why see what other fun ideas she sends you!)
6. Disney Movie Marathon
Ok, you know I’m a HUGE Disney fan, so why not spend the hours leading up to Midnight watching all of the classic Disney films! Pop some popcorn and grab your soft blankets as you curl up on the couch to enjoy some Disney magic!
7. Have an Appetizer Cook-Off
Is there anything better than appetizers on NYE?! Why not let everyone create their best appetizer and then have a little voting occur to see who created the best one! Try a few different categories: best tasting, best looking, healthiest, kid-friendly, etc.
Here’s one of our favorite family appetizers…so YUMMY!
- 3 cans Black Eyed Peas Prefer Kroger brand
- 2 cans White Corn Prefer Kroger brand
- 3 cans Petite Tomatoes Prefer Kroger brand
- 1 Green Pepper Chopped
- 1 bunch Green Onions Chopped Fine
- 1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
- Drain all canned items.
- Chop green pepper and green onions.
- Mix all ingredients and add in dressing.
- Cover and store in fridge until time to serve.
- Serve with Fritos scoops!
8. Make a Memory Jar
Get ready for lots of great memories in 2021 by decorating a cute glass jar and deeming it your Memory Jar. Place little pieces of note paper and a pen next to it, and every time something incredible happens in 2021, write it down and place in the jar. Then, on NYE going in to 2022, you can open the jar and reflect back on all of the wonderful memories you made during the previous year!
9. Pop the Confetti at Midnight
Ok, I hate the mess that confetti makes…however it has been quite the year, and I just might let my child pop the confetti this year! Go to your local retailer and find the large confetti poppers in the party section. It’s 2020..anything goes!
10. Make a Photo Booth
These are always a fun edition to any party, and who says you can’t have a photo booth even if it’s just you and your family to enjoy it! Set the camera up on timer mode and get in there and snap some memories! Photo booths don’t take much…just grab a fringe door hanging decoration (maybe 2 if you want it wider), some puff balls or hanging stars, and the balloon numbers to spell out 2021.
Regardless of how you spend NYE this year, I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating and even more so, I wish for a happy and prosperous 2021 for all!